Thursday, February 28, 2008

"At least you have your health . . ."

"At least you have your health." How many times do we hear that from people in the course of our lifetime? Last evening I wasn't sure that I was going to have even that. For the better part of the last week I've been looking after my wife and daughter who each ended up with stomach flu--thoroughly unpleasant and awful for them. This is why I haven't posted since last week. I've been taking care of them, suffering from sleep deprivation, and still trying to keep up with everything else. While they're no longer vomiting, they are still hardly %100 better. All through this, I was alternately thanking God that I hadn't and asking God that I wouldn't get sick in the same way. So, for the most part, I could say, "At least I have my health."

Until last night.

Early in the evening I began to experience slight nausea. And I thought, "Uh oh, here I go. My turn." I took a couple of gravol and lay on the couch, since I felt too awful to do much besides watch TV. My body began to ache. I had some chills. All I could think was, "I really don't want to spend an entire day vomiting." You see, I rarely get sick. I can't even remember when I threw up last. I didn't know how I would deal with it. Plus, I'd had the pleasant experience of listening to both my wife and little girl wretch and convulse.

However, thankfully, though I was up several times in the night, it wasn't for vomiting but to get a drink. And I never did vomit. If I did get the same bug as my family, my body managed to fight it off. I tend to have a pretty good immune system.

Anyway, this has been life for the last week or so. Once we're all feeling more or less normal, I'll have an easier time posting more regularly. Until then, at least I have my health.

No comments: