Friday, April 25, 2008

Lessons from the Flu

And so it seems the flu has finally left me. Since Sunday is only two days away, this is a good thing. Of course, it would be a good thing even if Sunday were a week away. But I just didn't want to miss another week of church. One was enough. That was odd enough.

All this time spent resting and trying to get better and not being able to do much else has had a way of reminding me of a couple of things. First, I'm not the center of the universe. Things continue to happen even if I'm sick in bed with a temperature. This is a good, if sobering, piece of information. Thinking about this in relation to church life reminds me of a book by Eugene Peterson and Marva Dawn called The Unnecessary Pastor. Looking out the window, I can see that the church building is still standing, even though I haven't been in my office. And as I learned last Sunday, even the occasional church service can go on without me. I am not completely necessary.

That said, there is a second thing. That is, we are all necessary. I was reminded of what doesn't happen when I don't do it. A new sermon doesn't get finished or preached. Certain things get put off until I'm well again. Less gets done. But here's the thing: even so, it's not that big a deal. A week later here, two weeks later there. It doesn't make much difference, at least not in the grand scheme of things. It's almost as though each of us is useful but not altogether necessary. Does that make any sense? Maybe the cold and flu medication has just gone to my head.

Anyway, I am grateful to feeling so much better. And I am expecially grateful that now I can finally begin to enjoy some of this wonderful spring weather. It also means I can finally get out there and clean my car, which, after a winter of mostly no-cleaning, it most desperately needs.

No comments: