Saturday, May 03, 2008

A Daddy and Daughter Day

So far today has been a special sort of adventure. And it's not the kind of adventure that happens too often. Today was a rare daddy-daughter day. Here's some of the things we did:

  • Had donuts at Tim's
  • Played Thomas and friends on her train table
  • Played with Lego
  • Ate macaroni and cheese (her favourite!) for lunch
  • Made Pillsbury chocolate chip cookies for dessert
  • Played hide 'n go seek with blankets and pillows
  • Took her for a ride around the neighbourhood on her tricycle and visited our milkman
  • Spent time playing on her slide in the backyard
  • Went for a walk in the woods behind our house
  • Tossed rocks and stones in a brook
  • Came home, watched Veggie Tales and ate more chocolate chip cookies
  • BBQed hot dogs for supper
  • Visited our next-door neighbours (where she was given another cookie!)
  • Had a much needed bath
  • Got ready for bed
  • Read bedtime stories and devotions

As you can see, it was a full day. As you can also see, it included a variety of "treatsies," as she calls them. What can I say, we don't have many days like this! Daddy gets to spoil his little girl on such occasions!

What I enjoyed about it is that it was completely silly time. It was completely non-work time. Once, when I was on the computer but not really working, she upbraided me and said, "No work! Play with me!" Wise words. While not overtly religious in any sense, our day together still had a Sabbath-like quality, and I was reminded about how necessary, even if difficult, it is to spend time this way. Of course, she had no trouble at all spending a day with me without doing any work. I guess I can learn from that!

No comments: