Monday, May 12, 2008

Reclining in My Car

For a very simple reason, today was a wonderful day.

The reason? I cleaned our car. And I didn't even give it the full treatment. I only cleaned the inside not the outside. But, boy, did that make a difference. You see, our car had not been cleaned since, oh, before the winter months. So, yes, it was an utter disaster. I think there were enough empty pop cans under the seats to put our daughter through college. On the odd occasion I would empty our car of some clutter, but let`s just say there were remnants of a Tim Horton`s muffin underneath the front passenger seat for . . . . well, let`s just say long beyond it`s natural expiry date. I`m not entirely sure it was still a muffin when I discarded it today.

My wife makes fun of me whenever I clean the car because whenever I do, or at least quite often when I do, I insist that we go for a drive almost immediately. Going for a drive in a clean car is a much different experience than driving in a car that one could lovingly refer to as `the trash can.` However, today I did not have this option only because upon completion of the cleaning ritual my wife and daughter were still in preschool. It`s no fun by myself. And besides, gas prices these days more or less rule out superfluous car trips. So after this cleaning ritual, the car simply sat in our driveway, looking much the same outside, but looking much better inside.

And so I did what any reasonable person would do in this situation. I gathered together some books--namely my Bible and a couple of commentaries to begin thinking about my next sermon--a glass of ice-water, and sat in the car in the driveway with the radio on. I actually sat in the front passenger seat, put the seat back, read, prayed, and rested. I rolled down the windows and eventually closed my eyes. I even dozed.

Mondays are sort of my day off. Though often they are not very Sabbath-like. I think it was Eugene Peterson who referred to a day off as a bastard Sabbath, and he`s pretty much on the mark there. Mondays tend to be when we go for groceries, run various errands, and do any needed shopping. None of these things, especially when crammed together into one day when accompanied by an energetic three and a half year old, is very restful. Thankfully, today we had to do none of those things. Granted, I did run one errand to the local hardware store for vacuum bags (otherwise cleaning the car would not have happened) and then proceeded across the parking lot to the local Pumpkin Patch (farmer`s market) for some fresh fruit and veggies. But none of this felt rushed. Even cleaning the car didn`t feel work-like. I took my time. There was no hurry. Honestly, cleaning my car felt nearly Sabbath-like. This is so even though I wasn`t exactly doing nothing.

What would be work for some people was not work for me. I was out in the sun, enjoying the blue skies, cool breeze, and the sheer experience of doing something that brought satisfaction and obvious results. It sure didn`t hurt that I had been anticipating the pleasure and joy of cleaning the car for several weeks if not months. Even if while cleaning it I wasn`t physically resting, at least not until I was done and sat in the car reading for a spell, I felt like my spirit was at rest. And this is a much more important thing.

1 comment:

SJBedard said...

I am glad that I am not the only pastor to have a vehicle with remnants of Tim Horton's all over the place. Sounds like you had a good day.